The fabulous wines we featured:
2007 Santa Ynez Valley Merlot
- This wine was not submitted for awards/reviews
- The final blend was 95% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc and 1% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Short heat spikes and a cool September allowed development of great acidity
Tasting Notes: Black cherry and red plum fruit aromas waft from your glass of Gainey Merlot. Rich, creamy and luscious, it offers concentrated red cherry and plum flavors, touched by tea/spice tones and tangy acidity.
2009 Sta. Rita Hills Chardonnay
- This wine is not submitted for awards/reviews
- More than 75% of the fruit came from the Sta. Rita Hills appellation
Tasting Notes: Fresh aromas of ripe yellow apple, lemon curd and peach surround rich, creamy flavors of citrus, spiced apple, peach and tropical fruit. Enjoy this white’s lovely minerality and a refreshing finish.
It is so true that Dan Gainey is both a visionary and pioneer of cool and warm climate viticulture in the Santa Ynez Valley. Such terrific fruit makes my job very easy. Knowing I have fruit of that caliber coming in, I don’t have to try to ‘fix’ a wine. I can be creative and be a wine shepherd instead of a winemaker. That is the difference between making good and great wines. I’d always admired Gainey, because even as a small winery, they had the most diverse and dynamic wine portfolio in the region. I sought them out, they didn’t seek me!